Welcome to the second installment of my Muse album cover series! Today's look is inspired by Muse's second studio album, Origin of Symmetry, which was realeased in the US in 2005 (but was orginally supposed to be released in 2001). This album is one of my favorites, and it it greatly different from it's predecessor, Showbiz. With it's heavier, bassy sound and use of experimental instruments, it definitely makes it a treat for the ears (and soul).
The title of the album was inspired by the book Hyperspace by theoretical physicist Michio Kaku. It discusses how a future book about the discovery of supersymmetry should be entitled "The Origin Of Symmetry", due to its implications in physics, in reference to the explanatory impact Charles Darwin's "On The Origin Of Species" had on biology. According to Matt Bellamy, "everyone’s been writing about the origin of life so now they’ll start looking at the origin of symmetry; there’s a certain amount of stability in the universe and to find out where it originates from would be to find out if God exists".
According to Bellamy, the artwork is "a collection of work of the fourteen artists who've all been given the same title, so even though each piece is in a radically different style, you get a sense of there being some form of continuity through different people's perception of the same theme." Le sigh.
As you can see, I took inspiration from not only the orange sky, but also from small color details from the posts on the cover (silver and turquoise). I figured a cut crease would go well with the "symmetry" vibe. I didn't want a harsh white lid, so I layered a white duo-chrome shadow with an orange shift to tone it down a bit.
It's really difficult for me to pick a favorite song off of this album. But the ones that get the most abuse from the replay button are, Plug in Baby, Feeling Good, New Born, Space Dementia, and Megalomania. These songs are more than just songs to me, they are pieces of art that are emulated through sound waves.
I decided to share their live version of Plug in Baby, because come on! Who can sound almost better than the studio recording of their own songs? MUSE, THAT'S WHO. WARNING: Supermassive chills ahead.
- Revlon Colorstay Foundation in Buff and Sand Beige
- Make Up For Ever Poweder Foundation in #200
- BFTE Eye and Lip Primer
- Sugar Pill Eyeshadow in Tako on lids
- TKB Trading HI-LITE Eyeshadow in Orange over Tako, brow bone and tear duct
- Makeup Geek Eyeshadow in Corrupt in crease and lower lash line
- Sugar Pill Eyeshadow in Flamepoint and Butter Cupcake above crease and lower lid
- Lime Crime Eyeliner in Quill
- Wet n WIld Silver Metallic Liner
- Rimmel Soft Kohl Pencil in Pure White in water line
- Makeup Geek Eyeshadow in Mermaid over white on water line
- FAUX Lashes in Black Sparkle
- Milani Mosaic Blush in Sweet Cheeks
- Makeup Geek Lipstick in Lovely
I really hope you guys are enjoying this series so far. Take care, and I'll see you next time!