"The bird, the pin, the song, the berries, the watch, the cracker, the dress that burst into flames. I am the Mockingjay. The one that survived despite the Capitol’s plans. The symbol of the rebellion." Katniss Everdeen
It's no secret that I am a giant Hunger Games fan. Back in 2011, I created two looks inspired by Katniss Everdeen, and then in 2012 I created a look inspired by District 12. You can check those out here, here and here. I have read the trilogy twice, and I am currently re-reading Catching Fire to refresh my memory for the movie that is coming to theaters in just a few short weeks. Catching Fire is hands down my favorite book of the three and I am stupidly excited for the movie to hit the screens! If you aren't familiar with the Hunger Games, I will give you a quick rundown:
"The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a wealthy Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. District 12, where the book begins, is located in the coal-rich region that was formerly Appalachia.As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected at random and forced to participate in the Hunger Games, a televised event in which the participants, or "tributes", must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains. The story follows fatherless 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12 who volunteers for the 74th Games in place of her younger sister, Primrose. Also participating from District 12 is Peeta Mellark, a boy whom Katniss knows from school and who once gave her bread when her family was starving."
- CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation in Classic Ivory
- Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Transparent
- Lime Crime Eyeshadow Helper
- Mixture of Sugarpill's Bulletproof and Tako to create an off-black shade all over the lids, applied in a cat eye shape just above the crease
- Makeup Geek Gel Liner in Immortal to create dots and also applied on upper and lower lash lines
- Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow in Goldilux mixed with Glamour Doll Eyes Foil Me to create a liner. I used this mixture to create the dots, bottom liner and the swirly details
- FAUX Lashes in Black Sparkle and Feathers
- Physicians Formula Bronzer in Light
- Hard Candy Blush in Spicy and Sweet
- Manic Panic High Voltage Lip Gloss in Naked
I can see this being an awesome Halloween look as well. Just wear a red dress that has some sort of sparkle or flame design, throw on some flame accessories, add a mockingjay pin, temporary flame tattoos, a brown wig and boom! You're Katniss Everdeen. Here's an idea to get you started:
I hope you guys enjoyed this look as much as I enjoyed creating it. I felt strangely empowered while I was wearing this. That is one reason why I love the Hunger Games so much. It teaches young girls and boys to be strong, independent and fearless. Those are definitely some qualities worth fighting for!
Here is the latest trailer for Catching Fire if you're interested!